Tuesday 3 November 2009

Contact sheets - 2nd vist to Hack Green


From these contact sheets you can see that this particular outing to the bunker was not very productive.

I have been having problems with my Mamiya 645 for months, I'd been avoiding using it. I'm uncertain what the problem is. I've taken it to be repaired on a few occasions but no one has ever been able to find the fault, it involves the electrically-assisted stutter and the film winder. This problem has been ongoing for almost a year and using the 645 fills me with anxiety, as I cannot be sure that the film will exposed correctly.

I had tested the camera prior to my visit to the bunker and it had worked perfectly, though this re-occurring problem is intermittent and cannot be predicted.

I decided that I need equipment that would not repeatedly let me down and so I have replaced the Mamiya 645 to ensure I do not suffer the same problems in the future.

I decided to take a model with me for this shoot, as previous work I have seen concerning such environments is often void of people. Introducing a human element to the environment and focusing on achieving a cinematic aesthetic similar to that of film stills is an aspect I would like to explore further throughout this project, though I had been reluctant to do so earlier.

Inside the Fallout Shelter room, I directed the model using props such as Geiger counters and dosimeters that were part of the installation. The Fallout Shelter houses a simulation of a nuclear attack, it is dark with the constant flickering of red lights accompanied by audio. This made these images very difficult to shoot. Exposure times were roughly 13 seconds at F4.

I am happy with the results from the Fallout Shelter, despite the complications brought about by defective equipment, I hope to explore this concept further using the same model.

No comments:

Post a Comment